Sunday 9 August 2015

Cafe Oratnek - Redfern, NSW

It's the weekend and it's brunch time again! This time, it's me who personally made the request to go for brunch (thanks for bearing with me Mrs). News on the grapevine is that there's a fantastic new cafe located in Redfern that's serving delicious katsu sandwiches...and I'm a sucker for katsu sandos. I was also quite intrigued because I knew that it was headed by Kenny Takayama ex-head chef of bills, Darlinghurst That's how we found ourselves driving through Redfern for a Japanese fusion brunch. Upon arriving, we were lucky enough to grab one of the last two tables available before the rush came in.


We quickly ordered our coffees and shortly after, once the Mrs had decided on what she wanted, ordered our food as well. They stock Mecca coffee at Oratnek and being one of my favourite coffee roasters, I had no issues just sipping and waiting for our food to come. The Mrs however (grumpy from a busy night) was not nearly as patient. Still, kudos to her for sitting out in the barely risen sun waiting for food with me. Additional to her standard coffee, I also ordered her a detox water as compensation.



For food, the Mrs ordered the spicy pork stuffed chicken wings served with chilli jam, chips, green laver (aonori). In my opinion, the wings could have been coated a little better (I like my fried chicken with more crunchy/crispy bits) but in terms of flavour, the dish was spot on. Each bite yielded a piping hot mouthful of juicy chicken and a spicy porcine goodness. The wings are only made better when dipped into the sweet tasting chilli jam. The only issue the Mrs had was that there weren't enough wings after sharing with me.

Now...regarding my dish, I could effectively rant incessantly about it and even then I'd probably still have more to say... I was simply that impressed by it. I'd seen multiple pictures from other food-bloggers and I had wondered if it'd be a bit small for my appetite but that concern was quickly addressed when the sandwich actually arrived at the table. The portion was sized quite well and the juicy tonkatsu had an ample thickness to it. The combination of the slightly-thicker-than-standard bread and the mustard covered cabbage made for an excellent accompaniment to the delicious piece of fried pork. To me, this was heaven in a sandwich.


Overall, I'd say I had a really good time. I mean compared to most other times when I have brunch, this meal really satisfied me. The outside courtyard would make a wonderful place to sit and have a conversation in spring or summer and I can't wait to see what they bring to the menu when the season does change.

6 comments:

  1. love the look of your katsu sandos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suze! I'm a huge fan of your blog so I'm heaps happy to know you've read one of my posts!

      Delete
  2. Hi I'm the General Manager of Oratnek, thank you for your kind words I have shared this on our Facebook I hope that's cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daryl,

      Of course! It's such an honor to know that you guys have taken the time to read our humble little blog.

      Thank you guys so much for the delicious food and wonderful experience!

      Delete
  3. Must return back to try that katsu sando. Definitely agree, this has to be one of my new favourite cafes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to go back and try the fried chicken sandwich or miso beef. Love the fact that they're so accessible.

      Delete