Sunday 5 April 2015

Devon Cafe - Surry Hills

The Mrs loves brunch. Like...I'm not even joking when I say it's almost an obsession with her. I'm lucky in that she uses as Android phone and not an Apple as if she had the opportunity to use Matchbook, all our time and resources would be devoted to trying each and every cafe in Sydney.

It's pretty obvious I don't appreciate brunch as much as she does.That said, I will say that Devon cafe was thoroughly impressive. Then again, that much is expected...I mean they are the Devon cafe. These guys are definitely in the top tier. Think along the lines of the equivalent of LA Lakers of the Sydney brunch game. And with their second location having not-so-recently opened up in Waterloo, it's rather hard to deny their popularity. 

We decided to visit one weekend as I had promised the Mrs I would take her to one of her desired locations. Being the smart cookie I was, I thought I'd go out early and grab a table (back when we went, it was still a single location and hence they got packed super easily). That said, they have their system down pat so I wouldn't worry too much about excessive wait times. 

We were seated promptly and having been given ample time to skim over the menu during our (my) wait, we swiftly ordered and eagerly awaited our food. The coffee came first which was nice as it gave me something to sip on while we waited. In this situation, I chose to order a pour over which was a good choice as I wasn't feeling particularly milky that day. Coffee was really good, as expected.


Shortly after, our orders arrived at our table. The Mrs ordered the famous Eggs Blini and I had ordered the baked eggs with an extra side of morcilla (I wanted to go double but the Mrs stopped me). The Eggs Blini was presented beautifully, the vibrant colors definitely did well in appealing to the diner's eyes first. However, I personally can't say that the interplay of flavors held up as much as the initial appearance did. In my opinion, the blini was a tad too sweet which didn't work as nicely when paired with the flavor of fish from the trout and Ikura roe which definitely stood out more. 


I can safely say that I ordered the better dish as the eggs were done perfectly and the sauce was the perfect amount of savory tartness which helped cut through the moorish pieces of morcilla sausage. The thick cut toast provided was also perfect for sopping up any remaining sauce. 


In my opinion, Devon cafe is definitely worth the visit. Their street cred is well deserved and with their current menu, now would be a great time to go and try it out. 

Would we return? I don't have a choice, the Mrs will make me.

Recommendations? I don't think we can make recommendations as we haven't been since the menu change but looking at their current menu, I would go with the Soft Shell Crab Roll ala Japanois.....Oh and they have flavored Cronuts at Danks *wink wink*

Areas of improvement? Their game is pretty tight, can't say I'm aware of any aspect they need improvement on.




No comments:

Post a Comment