Sunday 19 August 2018

TOUKA 東家 Japanese Yakiniku Restaurant & Bar - Parramatta, NSW

The Mrs and I have been to Touka once before and during that first dinner, we were so impressed with the decor, the food and the concept that I named it one of the top 10 Japanese restaurants in Parramatta. Today, the Mrs and I were lucky enough to have been invited back to try their new lunch menu and boy, were we even more impressed! 



Before we jump straight into it, the Mrs and I were discussing this earlier today and it occurred to us that westies might not have an idea about what Yakiniku is and what's differentiates it from other table-top barbecue experiences (i.e. the more commonly found Korean BBQ and Chinese style skewer barbecue). Since more yakiniku restaurants are now open in the west, it should be about time that we spread awareness about why people should know about yakiniku and why it's so amazing.

What is yakiniku?

Yakiniku (焼肉) quite literally translates into "grilled meat" and is the Japanese form of table top barbecue. If my facts are correct, this method of eating was introduced to Japan as "Korean cuisine" and became wide-spread in Japan after the second world war. This will be why a number of cuts found in yakiniku have Japanese translated names of cuts you would regularly find in KBBQ (i.e Karubi). In Sydney, the practice was popularised by the chain of restaurants opened by I's Group (Rengaya, Suminoya and Koh-ya) and is quite common place in the city's CBD and northern suburbs. It's only within the last few years that I've seen yakiniku restaurants open up west-way (with the most recent addition being Yakiniku Kosu in Castle Towers).

How is it different from Korean BBQ?

You might say "isn't it exactly the same as Korean BBQ? You still grill meat on a table don't you?"...well, if this is your response I urge you to try Yakiniku once and tell me it's the same. Though the roots of yakiniku might well be Korean, the methodology and execution behind it is so, SO different. Like with everything the Japanese take in, they really put the effort into honing it, perfecting it and elevating something simple into something spectacular. Whereas with Korean BBQ, you have some decently good quality meat that's grilled tabletop, no different from how you would grill a steak at home...yakiniku serves the various cuts of meat in thin, bite size slices and from the moment you bite into any piece of yakiniku meat, you can already tell that the quality is so much higher.

I'm not saying Korean BBQ is low quality or that it's in any way, not good enough but do give yakiniku a try. Literally, the moment you do give it a try, you'll immediately be able to see the difference in the quality of the meat.

So now that we've established what yakiniku is and why you should try it, the next question might be "why isn't it as common or as well known as the Korean counterpart?"...well, the most obvious answer to that would be population spread and the relative price-point to entry. See, to my understanding, Sydney's Japanese population is largely in the CBD and the North, whereas the west is where the Korean community chose to settle (Strathfield, Burwood, Blacktown). Obviously, restaurants will first pop up to serve the local community who has a demand for it and then, people of other cultures will eventually venture out and try stuff if they're told it's good (I imagine, that's how most people learnt to appreciate Korean BBQ). 

In terms of price-point, most yakiniku restaurants operate an All-You-Can-Eat/Order for 90 minutes model for anywhere ranging from $35 - $85 p.p (bit expensive to ask everyone in your party to pay that much when in KBBQ, you can order a number of plates and split) and if they don't operate in that model (like Rengaya which has that option but focuses more on providing higher quality meats on an ala-carte basis) the number of pieces of meat you get for each dish you order might turn people away (like I said earlier, it's generally thinner, smaller slices and based on first glance alone, KBBQ might seem like a better value proposition)

If either of the above points has ever stopped you from trying yakiniku, this will be why you should try their special lunch! The Mrs and I left lunch today singing Touka's praises because we had such a great time and we truly, truly believe that what we got today was FANTASTIC value-for-money! So, for myself, I ordered the 4 choice BBQ Set where I chose the Ox Tongue, Beef Rib, Beef Inside Skirt and the Pork Belly. On the menu, this is costs $22.50 whereby you also get a bowl of rice, miso soup and a salad. On arrival, the each portion of meat had five slices available totalling a variety of 20 slices of decadent, delicious meat for one person. To help you put that into perspective about just how good that is, my parents went to Musou Yakiniku in the CBD (on Pitt Street) where they also had a similar special lunch menu....except they charge $29.90 per person, you only get to choose 3 meats and according to my parents, you get 3 slices of meat per selection. That's a difference of $7.40 and 11 pieces of meat...you can't that value. Not saying don't visit Musou Yakiniku (we've also been there and we loved it) but maybe, splurge and treat yourself to their BBQ buffet.





And it's not just value, the meat was genuinely, supremely delicious! I ate it in the order of Ox Tongue first (cause it cooks the quickest), Inside Skirt second (my favourite cut at Suminoya), Pork Belly Third (so fatty and savoury) and I saved the best for last and cooked the Beef Rib to finish. My GOD that Beef Rib was delicious...barely any chew at all and so much marbling that it coated the back of my throat in delicious sweet beef fat. Honestly, I whole-heartedly intend to eat at Touka a lot more now that I know that kind of deal is available and next time, I'm going to just treat myself and quadruple down on the beef rib. It's actually amazing that they've set up the menu where they don't explicitly restrict it to one order per meat type...at Suminoya, you can only order as many plates of Ox Tongue as you want IF you order the higher-end buffet...the standard buffer limits it to one order per diner!

*EDIT*: I've recently been informed that the menu didn't state it but there is a limit of one order of each type of meat for the special menu. Mental note: always get the Beef Rib.

Unfortunately, this is not that Beef Rib (just harami)...the Beef Rib was so delicious I ate it before I realised I hadn't taken a photo....

The Mrs opted to try their other lunch menu items and ordered a Karaage bento. This is another point where Touka shines in that for groups containing people who don't want to eat barbecue, you have a variety of other items (Bento Sets, Lunch Bowls etc) people can choose from. The Mrs and I have this one friend who is a notoriously picky eater (she refuses to eat anything with sauce and is very hard to convince to try anything new) and even then, we'd still take her there and be confident she'd find something to eat. The karaage was crispy and juicy with ample pieces to fill your belly as well as four slices of salmon and tuna sashimi to satiate any cravings for sashimi lovers. The Mrs was very, very satisfied after finishing that bento.



Just for kicks, the Mrs and I also ordered the Yukke which is a raw beef tartare that I always get at any yakiniku restaurant if it's on offer. For $13.90, it was a pretty decently sized portion with a very nice sweet soy tare (marinade) that made the dish heavenly. Even amongst all the Yukke I've had previously (I've been to a LOT of yakiniku), this actually stood out to me as one of the better ones as the flavour was very pronounced.



Overall, the Mrs and I can confidently say that we had an amazing time dining at Touka. I whole-heartednly wish that everyone goes to try out Touka's special lunch to make their own assessments but in my heart, they take the cake for best value. The restaurant is only a short walk from Parramatta station and did I mention it's situated in a historic house? Literally, the fit-out is beautiful, clean and elegant which makes the entire experience so much more enjoyable! The Mrs said she's gonna hit them up more during her school holidays but I intend to be back (by myself) much, much sooner. Thank you again to Lila and TOUKA 東家 Japanese Yakiniku Restaurant & Bar for inviting us to lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment