Saturday 5 May 2018

The Meat & Wine Co Parramatta x FCBA - Parramatta, NSW

I distinctly remember the very first time I ever came to Parramatta. I remember skipping university (back then, I was still attending my first year at ACU Strathfield) and accompanying a friend as he drove out to go buy some musical equipment. I'd never before ventured that far out west but the place filled me with wonder and excitement as I got to see a whole new side of Sydney I never knew existed. I think I had a little spark of an idea back then that "oh, it'd be nice to one day settle down here...." and then flash forward a decade and I've literally become a Parramatta local in purchasing our first home within the area. 

I absolutely LOVE my new home (new, despite the fact that I've been living here for the past two years)...it fills me with so much pride and joy to see this humble suburb (CBD actually) grow and see so many businesses open up shop and flourish. And, in a small part, I'd like to think that my hobby of food-blogging does help contribute to the growth and popularity of the area by highlighting exactly what's great about this place. This is why when sophichuuu from the Food Bloggers and Critics Association (FCBA) sent us a DM on instagram, asking if we'd like to join them in celebrating the opening of The Meat & Wine Co Parramatta, we absolutely jumped at the honour of attending!

The Mrs and I had once had a spectacular dinner at their now-defunct Darling Harbour venue (IMAX got torn down ☹️) and so, we went in with very high expectations. Needless to say, our expectations were certainly met when we were guided into the dining room which was set up specifically for the FCBA members in attendance. The decor and the ambience is such that you wouldn't be amiss to imagine that you were actually in the middle of the city in Circular Quay or Barangaroo...the riverside venue certainly adds an undeniable elegance to the location.


As soon as we were comfortably seated and acquainted with our neighbours for the night (nice meeting you all: tasingthecloud, onceuponacraving, parramattafoodie, e_deliciou_s), our host from the Seagrass Boutique Hospitality Group, Mona told us a little about M&WCO...for example, did you know that they were farm-to-table (or "gate-to-plate" as she put it)? Or that they use a secret basting recipe that's 45 years old? I didn't know any of that going in but it certainly did put a smile on my face knowing so much care and dedication was going into the food I was about to ingest. 


The night started off with some appetisers which included some raw plates to share. Firstly, a Wagyu Tartare w/ Smoked Yolk, Green Dressing and Lavash bread followed by a Shaved Octopus w/ chive, peri and lemon as well as a Whisky Cured Salmon w/ Roe and Cauliflower Custard Cream. I can never go past a good tartare but I was really pleasantly surprised when the Whisky Cured Salmon stole the spotlight for me. The deep and satisfying spice of the whisky really came through as you had the soft, melty flavour of the salmon as an initial note followed by a tinge of peat coming from the curing process. This is all then rounded out by the salinity offered by the roe and the creaminess from the cauliflower custard cream which helps blanket each bite with a moreish savouriness.


As there were two entrees on offer, the Mrs and I both opted to have one each of the Szechuan Calamari and the Pork Belly. My god, you should try that pork belly...literal melt-in-your-mouth tenderness with this rich buttery pork fat that seeps into every corner of your mouth. Don't trust me? watch my reaction and try to tell me you don't want a piece.





Finally, for the mains, guests had a selection of the Monte 200g grain-fed fillet, 300g Shorthorn Rib Eye and the Chicken Breast. I tried my absolute best to try and convince the Mrs that the sensible move, would have been to order both steaks since you know, beef. But alas, the Mrs chose to have the Chicken Breast which actually, was surprisingly flavoursome. The outside was crusted in this thin, delicate crust and it was served with a healthy dollop of garlic sauce (toum). But you know, where there's a rib-eye, you just cannot beat that satisfaction of cutting into that tender meat and feasting on a perfect, medium-rare chunk of beef. The beef was perfectly cooked and aside from the rich flavour of the meat, you really did get that final note of sweetness from the basting which helped refresh your palate allowing you to go back for more and more beef!


Finally, the dinner ended on a high note with the arrival of the desserts: Creme Brulee and Apple Pie. Between the two, my favourite had to be the Apple Pie....it tasted just like Maccas which is in no way a detriment. What I mean is that the crunchy exterior and the intense impact of the cinnamon instantly brought me back to my most treasured memories of my first time enjoying a hot Maccas apple pie.

Overall, the experience that we had on Wednesday night was a fantastic one and knowing that we can now replicate that spectacular first dinner we had at Darling Harbour at a venue much closer to home is such a comfort. The Mrs left the venue that night a happy diner and has said that The Meat & Wine Co would be a great venue to bring your most treasured friends and family for an intimate dinner. No doubt the Mrs and I will be looking forward to future dinners here with our friends and fellow foodies.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see more restaurants taking part in the farm to table movement. Also, go Parra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing https://fandbstories.com/food-guest-post/

    ReplyDelete