Tuesday 23 February 2016

Ghostboy Cantina - Chinatown, NSW

At the moment, I'm making a mad scramble to catch up on my posts. I've been eating out so much recently and I've let the content build up. I really, really don't like leaving things too long as I find I can't visualise the flavours as well the longer I leave it. That said, there are places you eat at that you can't really forget...such a Ghostboy Cantina. You will rarely find a place which has you dreaming about it each and every day.


Although it wasn't too long ago that I dined with them, I feel like it's appropriate for me to write about them since they left such a deep impression on me. Firstly, their name is mad hilarious! I literally figured out the meaning as I was standing there waiting for my tacos...you see, Ghostboy is located near the back of the Dixon House food court which is in the middle of Chinatown. As if not the most out of place store there, they take it a step further by making a tongue-in-cheek prod at that fact: when translated to Cantonese, ghostboy become gwai zai or "white boy"...yes, as in young Caucasian lad.


That said, the titular "gwai zai" is mad impressive: Toby Wilson, who was the previous owner and head barista of Wedge Espresso in Glebe has a magic ability of seamlessly blending Asiatic and Latin flavours and presenting it in a bite size package of absolute flavour. I managed to sample all their current offerings by visiting twice over the course of two weeks. On my first visit, I was stressed for time so I could only really order takeaway. 

I chose to order the beef and pork with an order of fries knowing that I'd be back for their cauliflower taco. You'd assume that being takeaway, it wouldn't be as good anymore but no, you'd be wrong...it's still bloody fantastic. I bit down on the beef taco and as I do, the thin, double layered flour tortilla (which is actually toasted peking duck wrapper) gave way to the tender, rich beef. All the other ingredients: the onion, coriander, salsa and bean sprouts combine in your mouth and just for a moment, a familiar joy floods my mouth as I feel the sensation of a delicious bowl of pho compounded into one, single bite. I just stand there...smiling like a dork.


From my second visit
I think I ate the tacos in the wrong order because after the beef, the pork (which, according to Instagram is actually the crowd favourite) just really didn't bring me the same happiness. I mean, it's still a great package: fatty pulled pork sits on top of the same toasted wrapper with crisp, fresh and sweet peach cubes, basil, salsa roja and verde...still a great taco but just not at decadent and moreish as the beef.



On my second visit (last weekend), I shared some tacos with the Mrs and my good mate. There, I had the beef and pork again but this time, we also ordered the cauli. This led to another mind-blowing moment because the cauli was also intensely delicious!! Fried florets of cauliflower, salsa verde, onions, herbs and this amazing cashew and macadamia cream...all topped with fried shallots. If you don't like vegetables...you will after to take a bite of this.

Both times I've visited, I also made it a point to order the fries which were great (well seasoned and slightly tart) but really, when you have tacos as amazing and well made as the ones described above...nothing else matters.

Toby has stated in an interview that he doesn't know how long Ghostboy will stay around but Toby, if you are reading this: you're doing amazing work and I'm sure hoping you'll be around for a long, long time.

1 comment: