Monday 8 June 2015

@ the corner - Peakhurst

It's been a bit of a dry week for the Mrs and I (mainly cause I'm limited by how much money I have left to spend until pay day) but also because the Mrs and I haven't been all too free. The next week is gonna be a good time (stay tuned) but for this week, bear with us a little. As you all know, the Mrs loves brunch and with the expansion of options in my area, I decided to take her to a new local place that came at the recommendation of a fellow insta-foodie, @ the corner.

Being that it's legitimately less than 3 minutes drive from my residence, it's a super convenient place to check out for a quick brunch. The Mrs and I also decided to bring along the mothership...you know, the more the merrier! They have plenty of parking on the street and the cafe was rather large so it looked like it could seat a number of people so that was good. Seating came immediately so that's another plus in my books. The menu is brief but not limited (which is the way it's supposed to be) with some seasonal specials on the blackboard. Sadly, I had missed the soft shell crab burger's run but I'm hoping that it makes a return for my next intended visit. The pastry selection is also rather wonderful with three flavours of cronuts on offer.

The mothership ordered coffee and the salmon sandwich which was a good choice as it was quite delicious. A soft boiled egg, flaky bits of smoked salmon and rocket encased in two slices of some of the best bread I've had. I'm always glad to eat with my mother because she rarely ever finishes her own food, which means more for me at the end of the day.

Would you like some??

Look at that egg!

The Mrs blew out and ordered scrambled eggs and toast with mushrooms, bacon, and avocado. According to the Mrs, the dish as a whole wasn't amazing (bear in mind this comes from an experienced brunch snob) but it was decently filling and satisfying. Appropriately sized for the price we paid for it. In all honesty though, I would have been glad to have her dish when compared to mine...

I'd have to say the biggest disappointment to me was my dish: the cheeseburger. I mean, Sydney's new wave of hipster burger purveyors are both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, we have amazing, greasy burgers that rivals the states...but on the other hand, an otherwise standard cafe burger is detrimented in comparison. Make no mistake, it was a decent burger but for me, the patty was too "industry" and lacked the charred, beefy, grisly flavour and texture I desired. The lack of melty american cheese, sauce and pickles didn't exactly help either. The typical lettuce, tomato and slices of tasty cheese just doesn't do it for me anymore...the fries (more like wedges) were good though, fluffy on the inside and lightly seasoned.

Looks a little small cause of the angle, but it was decently sized.

Inside shot
Did I mention I also had a nutella thickshake?
@ the corner is a great place for what it is, local and accessible. It provides the proposition that you don't have to go all the way out to the inner city suburbs for good brunch. Ignore your previous experiences with other places, take @ the corner for what it is and you'll be able to appreciate this cafe for it's simplicity. It really is wonderful to see the local scene develop and grow.


No comments:

Post a Comment