Monday 4 May 2015

Hawker - Sydney CBD

About a week ago, I wrote about my lovely anniversary dinner at Papparich, one of Sydney's most accessible Malaysian restaurants. Now, they are good in the way that it's so easy to drive to your local branch and get some decent Malaysian grub. Not to mention their menu is simply staggering in the amount of options you have. So my point being: they're good.....not the best though. In my humble opinion, the best Malaysian restaurant is in the heart of the city. The place I'm referring to? Hawker on Sussex Street.

Hawker is the sister restaurant of the ever popular Mamak (the place in Chinatown that  pulls in a line no matter what day and what hour) and they opened up not too long ago. Primary difference between the two? Hawker serves a more Chinese-Malay fare. So expect great noodles.

The Mrs and I had actually decided to visit on a whim. We didn't plan way ahead on visiting this place but we sure were we did. The moment we sat down though, we already knew what we wanted to order (in part thanks to the short menu but concise menu): Laksa, Popiah and my eternal favorite: Char Kway Teow.

Food arrives lightning quick at Hawker, almost as quick as the Hawker centers in South-East Asia that they're named after. As usual, I just have to order the milo ice. Lets face it, it's really hard not to do it well and in that way, it's hard to differentiate a good one from a bad one. This one did it's job in that it was a nice, creamy beverage to go with your delicious food.


The popiah brought back memories. I'd scoured Sydney for good popiah but I was never able to replicate the delectable flavors I had back in the streets of Kuala Lumpur. My Malaysian friends would straight up murder me if I said this was as good Malaysia but I will say, it's good enough for Sydney.


The Laksa however was sensational. It didn't have creaminess of coconut milk (I almost thought it was omitted) I almost always expect from Laksa but that didn't matter. It was an absolute delight to eat. The soup was perfectly balanced in its spiciness and savoriness that it didn't matter that it wasn't creamy. The Mrs loved it.


The star of the show though had to be my Char Kway Teow. Almost ethereal in it's appearance, the dish was plated perfectly with the aroma of charred noodles and the banana leaf wafting through the air. One very welcome addition Hawker does that no body I know of does is the addition of cockles. Those chewy morsels of seafood take the dish to a whole new level.



Honestly, I'm so glad the Malaysian food boom along. Much like the ramen boom, our humble Sydney has turned into a food lovers delight. Lets hope Hawker is as successful as it's sister and eventually open up more locations closer to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment